If you manage classified, sensitive, or private information day in and day out, you know firsthand that you need a secure and thorough redaction process that easily, consistently, and securely removes sensitive text and graphics.
Failures to redact can have costly and dangerous consequences not only for organizations but also for the people whose privacy or security they are protecting.
Thousands of Federal, State, and Local government agencies, as well as law firms, corporations, and health organizations; rely on Appligent’s Redax plug-in for Adobe® Acrobat® (Standard or Professional) every day to give the ultimate protection for sensitive information.
Appligent was the first to natively redact PDF documents and holds U.S. Patent No. 7,428,701 on the “method, system and computer program for redaction of material from documents.”
Information removed from PDF files using Redax cannot be recovered. Redax goes beyond Adobe® Acrobat® Professional’s basic redaction capabilities to meet your editors’ and reviewers’ specific workflow needs.
Redax 5.6 works with Adobe Acrobat 8, 9, X and XI on Windows operating systems. Redax 5.7 is compatible under Adobe Acrobat DC. It does not work with the free Adobe Reader.
Please view the Redax 5.6 datasheet.
In addition; you can perform redactions on PDF files using Appligent’s Redax and do so without using the computer’s mouse. Using Redax without a Mouse
Redax is a registered trademark of Appligent Inc.
If you need centralized automated, document redaction processes on a server—for example to apply redaction criteria to a large number of documents—learn more about Appligent’s Redax Enterprise Server.
- Advanced patterns allow you to automatically find and mark social security numbers (SSN), ZIP codes, international postal codes, US and international phone numbers, credit card numbers, dates, URLs, email addresses and more
- Support for Regular Expressions allowing you to define your own custom pattern searches
- Markup Engine performs ‘Find Using List’ markup up to 30 times faster than older versions of Redax.
- Automatically finds and marks lists of words and phrases for redaction
- Finds words and phrases that break across lines
- Supports Acrobat’s standard text mark-up (highlight, underline and cross out / strikethrough)
- Available Full Page or multi-page redaction options
- Enhanced Redaction Engine
- Automatically preserves the original document
- Safely removes text, graphics and images based on markup
- Redaction from single or multi-page templates
- Appearance of redacted areas is fully customizable
- Optional page consolidation in cases where multiple pages are fully redacted
- Automatic removal of document metadata
- Optionally removes all annotations and bookmarks
- Optionally condense fully redacted pages.
- Redact documents based on assigned categories
- Redact tagged documents.
- Exemption code palettes are fully customizable
- Includes built-in exemption codes for the US Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Privacy Act
- Optionally place exemption codes at the bottom of the page
- Optionally, use selective “redaction by category” capabilities
Redaction Workflow Automation
- May be integrated with existing document management systems
- Generates redaction reports to facilitate record keeping
- Supports semi-automated and multi-user FOIA and redaction workflows, including in conjunction with Redax Enterprise Server
Enhanced User Interface
- Expanded toolbar and improved user experience
Supporting Operating Systems
Redax 5.6 is available for Windows and is compatible under Adobe Acrobat 8, 9, X or XI, Standard or Professional. Redax 5.7 is compatible under Acrobat DC. Redax will not install into the free Adobe Reader. It is not intended to work inside of the Adobe Reader.
See the Redax Users Guide for complete documentation.
How to Buy
Redax single-desktop pricing starts at $249.00 (USD), and is available for Windows.
A Redax Five (5) Pack is available for $999.00 (USD). This price includes one year of support and maintenance for each license and represents a savings of 33% as compared to the single-desktop price. Contact us for more information on other volume discounts.
Redax can also be purchased as part of a FOI Bundle that includes one license of Redax and one license of StampPDF for $319.00 (USD). This price includes one year of support and maintenance for each license and represents a savings of 30% as compared to the single desktop price.
Redax available on NMCI Clin23
Redax is available on NMCI; the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI Clin23). If you are on the NMCI network, please contact your NMCI network representative. If you are unsure of who to contact, please call us and we will put you in touch with HP representatives that can help you.
Section 508 Compliance
Appligent is committed to making its client software accessible to persons with disabilities. Our plug-in software uses Adobe Acrobat as a rendering engine and relies on its feature set for presenting content.
Download Redax from the Appligent Web StoreFree Trial… Buy Redax…
Redax Quick References
Following are single page quick reference documents on working with Redax.
The complete documentation for Redax can be found on the documentation site for Redax and StampPDF at redax.appligent.com
Here are a collection of tutorial videos answering some common Redax questions.
This video will show you how to create Redax boxes and then how to redact using Redax.
This video will demonstrate how to setup your redaction preferences. These settings will determine how the redacted area will appear.
This video will demonstrate how to setup a Find Using List file so that Redax can search through your text document and markup words and/or phrases for redaction.
This video will demonstrate how to add new Palettes to Redax as well as show you how to delete the existing built-in US FOIA and US Privacy codes.
This video will demonstrate how to change and replace Exemption Codes in all existing Redax boxes with a new code.
Hands off that mouse. Perform redactions on PDF files using Appligent’s Redax and do so without using the computer’s mouse.
With Appligent’s Redax it’s possible to perform a redaction on a PDF file without using the computer’s mouse.
This is accomplished by using standard Windows keyboard shortcuts such as ALT plus TAB to move between applications.
It also involves using what are called keyboard accelerators such as ALT plus F which is commonly used to expand the file menu in many applications. And it uses a Windows accessibility feature called “Mouse Keys”.